Discussion questions for The Necklace:
1) How did your feelings about Susan change during the course of the novel?
2) Susan is afraid she may have been very wrong about a person she loved. How can we be so wrong sometimes about people who are close to us? When in your life have you been surprised by someone, in a bad way – or a good one?
3) What obstacles inside herself does Susan have to overcome in order to have the courage to fight for the truth? What is the most courageous thing you’ve ever done?
4) Why do you think Kyra and Robert decide to help Susan?
5) At what point in the novel did you know who did it? And once you knew that, what drove you to keep reading?
6) Susan and her mom still live together, despite the terrible tragedy that Susan partly blames her mom for. How has the tragedy, and the blame, affected their relationship?
7) Susan lives in an economically challenged small town. How does that affect her life and choices?
8) When the novel begins, Susan is a strong advocate for the death penalty. How do her feelings change, or not change? How do you feel about the death penalty?
9) What do you think Kyra will do after high school?
10) What do you think Susan’s life will be like after the novel is over?
PREORDER THE NECKLACE NOW!